• Boots & Spurs wins cover of the decade
• Escape Customer Publication of the Year at the 2012 CIPR awards
• Recent consultancy work
• Talks and workshops
• PPA Scottish Awards brochure
• Print advert
• One to one trianing
• Latest Fly Fishing & Fly Tying covers
• New Historic Scotland magazine
• New Escape magazine
• Scottish PPA Awards shortlist announced
• Industry lore says dogs boost cover sales
• Historic Scotland's new look
• Bauer's MCN looking good 6 months into its new-look
• New issue of Boots & Spurs gets a cover wrap
• Escape: 75 things to do this Summer
• Horse Box Spycam!
• New logo for Equipped
• Working for free!
• Bauer's Your Horse made simple
• Super fly and the Purple Prawn at Fly Fishing & Fly Tying
• UK Government loses £100m in X-plane switch
• Historic Scotland Summer issue
• Training and a design freshen up for
• Discover NLS new issue published with a Scottish cinema special
• The Escape Summer issue features loads of things to do in the South West
• Fly Fishing & Fly tying and the 10 best urban trout rivers
• BD still looking good
• "Interview with Paul McNamee, editor of the Big Issue"
• "Jacqui Oakley: Bit of Alright"
• "Classic FM closes with sales on the up"
• "RIP Amid Capeci"
• Equipped gets bigger again
• The redesigned BD (Building Design) goes to press. BD editor-in-chief Amanda Baillieu asked me back to freshen up the weekly newspaper. Amanda said "We’re all really thrilled with the new look. It feels so fresh, it’s been great working with Matthew again".
• The biggest ever issue of Equipped goes to press.
• The Spring issue of Historic Scotland is published
• Boots & Spurs is picked up by leading design sites
• Fly Fishing & Fly Tying's March cover
• I've taken over the editor's role on Boots & Spurs, the National Clarion Cycling Club member magazine. The Spring issue goes to press and features illustration by Garry Marshall and photography by See a sneak peek of the
• The Spring issue of Escape (the First Great Western passenger magazine) is sent to press.
• "Why I bought Marie Claire" (A view from the trenches)
• The Bauer back issue library.
New team member
• Ex Scotland on Sunday Art Director Angela Mckean joins the team. Angela has bags of experience and is already having a big impact on our busy schedule.
• The Institute of Internal Communication asked me to join their 2011 awards judging panel.
• Equipped magazine breaks its advertising revenue record after the new look proves popular with readers, the latest issue is sent to press. . MD David Riddell said "I am happy to say that after the redesign work carried out by Matthew, the magazine now receives more enquires and editorial participation from our readers than ever before and is a magazine that our staff are all rightfully proud."
• Fly Fishing and Fly Tying's February cover continues its bold, clean and modern cover style
• Historic Scotland gets shortlisted for the APA awards:
• 5 magazines I'm involved with get nominated at the Scottish PPA Magazine Awards including
Boots & Spurs
• Discover NLS, the National Library of Scotland magazine gets a design refresh.
• The January issue of Fly Fishing and Fly Tying magazine gets a sales boost with a new bold front cover.
• Equipped gets a new look and training for staff
• Think publishing's Countryside Voice says the UK Government's National Planning Policy Framework is fundamentally flawed
• Escape magazine's Winter issue now available on First Great Western trains:
• Using the hotspot.
• The new look monthly, Fly Fishing & Fly Tying magazine is sent to the printers.
• The Bradley and Friends animation 'bible' for RedKite animation gets distributed at animation shows:
• I posted two items about 9/11. The first recollects my memories of 9/11 whilst working at Popular Science in New York, the second examines how 4 magazines responded to 9/11.
• Summer issue of Countryside Voice the Campaign for Rural England member magazine goes to press.
• Issue 3 of Escape (First Great Western passenger magazine) now available on trains accross the South West and London.
The Autumn issue of the Historic Scotland member magazine goes to press.
• The PPA asked me to draw up judging guidelines for a new cover award at their 2011 Scottish Magazine Awards
• Summer issue of Boots and Spurs delivered to members of the National Clarion Cycling Club. Cover is picked up by industry taste setters , and
• Part of the judging panel for the Scottish PPA School Magazine Awards.
Judge x 2
• The Three by Three Illustration annual is published - I was on the judging panel.
• Issue 2 of Escape (First Great Western passenger magazine) goes to press.
• The new-look TESS went on sale at the end of February. Editor Gillian Macdonald says: “It has been really popular with our readers, even those who were fond of the old newspaper. It looks fresh and lively and they find it much more attractive and engaging.”
• Congratulations to Think Publishing who used my designs on the winning pitch for UK Excellence, the British Quality Foundation member magazine.
• The TESS mini-mag goes to press.
• Part of team that wins the pitch for the British Quality Foundation magazine on behalf of Think Publishing.
• Issue 2 of Boots & Spurs, the National Clarion Cycling Club member magazine goes to press.
• Redesign the International pages for BD (Building Design).
• Commissioned to redesign TESS (Times Educational Supplement Scotland).
Part of the team that wins the pitch for Escape magazine (First Great Western passenger magazine) on behalf of Think Publishing.
• Commissioned to design cover of new launch, Smart Phone Developer, based in Germany.
• The new-look Classic FM magazine magazine goes on sale. Publisher, Kate Law, says "We’re delighted with the new look - the whole package is strong and cohesive. Thanks for all your efforts on our behalf"
• Part of team that produces the winning pitch for the Motor Sport Association magazine on behalf of Think publishing
• Throughout July I'm working on a redesign prioject at in London, the production of Historic Scotland magazine and the redesign of the PressData website.
• I have taken on the publishing, alongside Editor Giles Perkins, of 'Boots & Spurs', the member magazine of the National Clarion Cycling club. The club was established in 1895 and is one of the largest cycling clubs in the UK.
Judge: The Seventh Annual 3×3 Professional IllustratIon Competition
• I was on the judging panel of this prestigious international competition. There were 12 categories and over 3500 submissions from all over the world, including animation, editorial, advertising, books and three dimensional work. James Yang was awarded best in show, with 11 other illustrators awarded gold. For more details see: .
Judge: Scottish Schools Magazine Competition
• I was invited to be a judge at the 2010 Scottish PPA Scottish School Magazine Competition. The competition is a ground-breaking initiative open to every secondary school in Scotland and provides a wonderful opportunity for pupils who are interested in writing, design, web development or business to work as a team and create a school magazine, newsletter or online edition.
Entries were very strong and included journalism and design that could easily grace the pages of professional publications. The students have limited access to software such as Indesign or Photoshop, but this doesn't prevent strong ideas from shining through.
• Congratulations to Discover NLS, which won Customer Magazine of the Year, and Fly Fishing & Fly Tying, which won Consumer Specialist Magazine of the Year 2009 at the Scottish PPA Magazine Awards. Discover NLS also won Best corporate Publication 2009 (public sector) at the CorpComms awards.
• The Whale and Dolphin redesign, Discover NLS and Historic Scotland Magazines were all Highly Commended at the Institute of Internal Communication (Scotland) Awards for 2009.
Workshops and Lectures
• I gave a talk and ran a workshop for journalism post-grad students at Edinburgh Napier University. The talk ran thorugh some of my principles of good cover design and communication and how to effectively target a readership.